There is a popular view that print is dead thanks to the digital age. However, print continues to reach much higher response rates than digital. Currently, the response rate for print is 4.4%—compared to digital marketing at just 0.12%—so you are missing a huge opportunity by focusing all of your efforts on digital. In fact, 57% of marketers who use postcards think they are the most reliable method they use. This infographic helps explain why postcards remain one of the most dependable and effective ways to reach your ideal target in a unique and meaningful manner.
If you are not convinced, here are some important statistics to keep in mind:
- More than 60% of people are inspired to visit a website after receiving a postcard.
- 70% of people claim to have greater brand recall from direct mail rather than digital marketing.
- Print advertising classifieds remain one of the top sources generating sales and marketing leads at 8%.
- 4 out of 5 business owners say that postcards can help them stand out from the competition.
How Postcards are Used
There are many applications for postcards, including:
- Voucher cards
- Reminder cards
- Grand opening announcements
- Clearance cards
- Discount cards
- Birthday discounts
- First-time buyer discounts
These tactics remain highly effective and can be aligned with your marketing objectives.
Why Postcard Marketing Works
Postcards work for several reasons, including:
- Affordable marketing: with exceptional ROI at a 4.4% response rate.
- Campaigns are easy to track by comparing the amount you post to the sales generated using promotional codes, landing pages, or phone extensions.
- Versatile design and goals.
- Less exposure to the competition, while enjoying more one-on-one communication with your audience.
- Postcard marketing is cost-effective and scalable to meet your needs and budget.
- Postcard marketing saves time without the need to constantly update content (as with digital marketing).
- Better branding experience that is more personal and unique.
- QR codes can be used for redemption options for tracking.
- Postcards can increase web and social traffic, and support your digital efforts.
- Postcards offer easy ways to measure campaign success.
How to Run an Easy Successful Postcard Marketing Campaign
It’s also very easy to run a successful postcard marketing campaign in a few steps:
- Identify your audience either using your own targeted mailing list or TROI’s criteria to zero in on the most important qualities from location to demographics.
- Set smart marketing goals based on your needs such as driving sales, creating leads, raising brand awareness, promotions, etc.
- Set your budget and easily stick to it with print and postage quantities.
- Design the postcard to reflect your brand using an intriguing heading and a clever, creative look to pique interest.
Track your results and confirm your improved return on investment using this “old school” marketing technique.
Easily Measure Performance
As mentioned, postcards are the easiest marketing tactic to measure success. You have many different options, including:
- Tracking how many orders are placed by sharing specific discount codes that people use to access their personalized offer.
- Creating landing pages with relevant information that also allows you to track visits to the custom URL using Google analytics.
- Assigning a unique phone number as the contact to track how many calls your postcard generates.
- Using QR codes for people to scan off the postcard.
All of these metrics show just how effective postcards can be. Whether you choose to combine them with your digital marketing campaigns, or as a stand-alone approach to marketing, you are sure to discover why postcards are still one of the best methods to market your business.
Because the world continues to move towards digital, as a marketer who embraces traditional methods, you can set yourself apart from the competition.